Banana pudding is one of those comfort foods that takes you back to childhood. My grandfather used to make banana pudding every 4th of July. This is a Paula Deen inspired version that I adapted to my own taste. It’s rich, creamy, and so easy to make!
Old Fashioned Banana Pudding
- 1, 3.4 oz pk of Instant Banana Pudding
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 bar of cream cheese, room temperature (I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese because the texture is better for cooking and baking)
- 1 container of Cool Whip
- 4-5 sliced bananas
- 1 box of Nilla Wafers
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the banana pudding mix and milk until for about 2-3 minutes. The pudding may still be thin. You are really just looking for a consistent texture with no lumps.
- Stir in the sweetened condensed milk until it’s thoroughly mixed in.
- So the same with the cream cheese.
- Then follow the same procedure with the Cool Whip. Put mixture aside.
- Place all of the Nilla Wafers into a gallon zip lock bag and crush them with a glass or rolling pin.
- Spread the cookies evenly at the bottom of a 9×12 baking pan, reserving a few crumbs for later.
- Top with sliced bananas, keep overlapping or stacking them until they create a nice thick layer.
- Spread the pudding mixture evenly until it coats the entire pan.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate for at least 4 hrs (overnight is best).
- Before serving, scatter the remaining cookie crumbs on top of the pudding.
The cookies really soak in the pudding and create a cake-like crust. the combination of the flavors in the pudding mixture is delicious! It’s rich and creamy without being overwhelming. It tastes kind of like pudding from scratch but actually no cooking is required!
This recipe is perfect for potlucks and parties. Here are more crowd pleasing desserts:
- Crockpot Recipes: 10 Tempting Desserts
- Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
- Snicker’s Ice Cream Cake
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Bars
- Oreo Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Twix Candy Cookie Bars
- Fruit Pizza
- Island Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars
- Oreo Brownies
- Grandma’s Snickerdoodles
- Homemade Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Join our Mommysavers Deals group on Facebook for the latest updates daily.