Our bodies need sunlight. If they don’t get it, they tend to get a little crabby. Wintertime can be a particularly stressful time of year. It is cold, dark, and seemingly endless. There are things you can do, however, to off-set your wintertime funk. Below are some tried and true methods for chasing away the winter blues.
- Go outside every day. You may not like the cold, but your body will appreciate the fresh air, and it serves to lift your spirits with a change of scene.
- Flip through your photo albums to remind yourself of what your surroundings look like in the warmer months. It serves as a reminder that it will be warm again!
- Purchase a sunlight-simulating light bulb. It was developed in Finland where daylight is very short during the winter. Look for “Full Spectrum Light Bulbs” in your hardware store.
- Get exercise. Personally, I like to jump on the bed with my kids. As an alternative, borrow a mini-trampoline and hop on it every day. It is such a release!
- Get enough rest. When you are overtired, things tend to feel more overwhelming. Build in a twenty-minute rest each day and make it a part of your daily routine.
- Eat plenty of vitamin-rich foods. Vitamin D is particularly important during the winter time when sunlight is less available.
- Invite a friend over for a game night. Take turns at someone else’s house every few weeks to help speed along the long winter months.
- Read a funny book or rent a comedy on video. Laughter is one of the best antecdotes for feeling blue.
Remember, winter never lasts forever. Bringing sunshine into your day can make you feel like spring is almost here!