I have been making this Shepherd's Pie Recipe for years and have improved it as time has gone on. I truly think it is the best. It's easy, and makes two meals. All of the ingredients to make two casseroles cost less than $20. Bake one now, freeze one for later.
BEST Recipe for Shepherd's Pie – Two Meals
- 1 1/2 lb. seasoned browned ground turkey
- 3 lb. potatoes
- 1/4 C. sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- salt to taste
- 2 cans green beans
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 jar of pasta sauce
- 2 C. shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Peel and cut up the potatoes into large pieces. Cook in a pot of boiling water until they easily fall apart with a fork.
2. In the meantime, combine ground turkey, green beans, tomatoes, and pasta sauce. Divide evenly into 2 rectangular foil pans and spread until the entire bottom is covered.
3. Once fully cooked, drain the potatoes and pour them back into the pot. Add salt, butter, and sour cream. Use a potato masher or mixer to make the mashed potatoes (if they are too thick, add a little milk).
4. Evenly divide the potatoes into both pans and spread over the meat mixture.
5. Top each with a cup of cheddar cheese.
6. If freezing these meals, cover the pans tightly in foil. If baking, place in an oven preheated to 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Note: After freezing, you will need to bake for about an hour at 375.
Optional: Add a bag of frozen corn
This is a GREAT idea for when you plan to make a meal for someone who is sick or just had a baby. That way you are preparing theirs while making a meal for your own family. This is also a good potluck idea.
For a faster meal idea, buy the pre-made mashed potatoes at the grocery store. You can “doctor them up” with sour cream if you would like to. DO NOT use instant potatoes if you can help it because the texture and taste will be significantly different.