Depending on where you live, June is prime “strawberry picking” month. Every year we head out to a local orchard with all sorts of U-pick opportunities. Strawberries this year were $1.99lb. Regular price is about $3.99lb here but the quality of fresh picked is amazing! Plus, it's a fun educational experience for the kids.
Every year we also tend to pick way too many! So when the strawberries start to get a little too ripe, I like to make strawberry sauce for ice cream! My recipe is based on your own personal preference and taste.
Easy Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream Topping
- 1lb cut up strawberries
- honey or sugar (or a combination of both)
- You simply add your strawberries to a pot based on the amount you have.
- Add water until about 1/4-1/2 inch covers the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in at least 1/4 cup of sugar. You can also use honey or a combination of both. Keep in mind that honey is sweeter than sugar so you can use a little less.
- Cook on medium-low heat until the mixture starts to boil.
- Lower the heat to simmer to let the water evaporate and create a nice syrup texture. The time it takes depends on how much water you used and the juiciness of the strawberries.
- I stop every 5-10 minutes and give the mixture a stir and see what the texture looks like.
- When I'm happy with the results, I take my potato masher and smash the strawberries in the pot.
The end result should look like this:
After it cools, I usually like to serve it over Philadelphia style vanilla ice cream. Or if you are feeling really ambitious you can make this delicious Homemade Custard.
Here are some other delicious dishes starring strawberries:
- Summer Dessert: Strawberries, Creme Fraiche and Brown Sugar
- Fruit Pizza
- Strawberry Jell-O Angel Food Cake
- Strawberry Pretzel Pie
- Strawberry Pound Cake
- Strawberry Beerita
Join our Mommysavers Deals group on Facebook for the latest updates daily.