Let’s face it, being a mom is tough and money can get pretty tight at times. However it’s also healthy for moms to blow off steam. Sometimes you just need time for yourself or to treat yourself to a little retail therapy. The big question is, how do I do that when money is so low? Well here are some fantastic tips on ways that frugal moms treat themselves without the guilt.
1. Babysitting Swap: Who doesn’t need a little time to shop, run errands, and maybe even just take a nap. Summer is coming and all of the kiddos will be home. Now is the time to grab a friend, neighbor, or trusted mom from your kids’ school class. Set up a morning each week when you can each take turns watching all of the kids. Ex: Monday morning from 9am-noon, you watch the kids. Tuesday morning from 9am-noon, she watches the kids. This also works well for evenings and date nights. Caution: Make sure you find someone reliable whom you trust and will keep their word.
2. Eating Out: Now that babysitting is covered, time to figure out where to go. One of our favorite places is Applebee’s. Bar and grill chains often offer Happy Hour specials. Applebee’s starts at 9pm on weekdays and 10pm and weekends. Select appetizers are half-price. Once a month, my mommy friends and I meet up after the husbands are home and the kids are in bed for some guilt-free food. A drink + a half priced appetizer can usually get you out of there for $10 or less. Check your local restaurant chains for similar deals. Plus there are several websites where you can find deals and discount gift certificates to local restaurants. This article, Eating Out: Money Saving Ideas will help. Also, many restaurants offer Birthday FREEBIES that you can sign up for. They range from discounts, free desserts and apps, to free meals! Be sure to sign up for emails from your favorite restaurants to regularly receive news on coupons and specials.
3. Out on the Town: Groupon is a great place to find deals local sites and attractions including shows and concerts. Receive daily emails to featured specials on everything including beauty and spa treatments. You can literally save 50% or more on fun time out for mom.
4. Out of Town: Take a day to get away. Every state in the nation has some sort of attraction within a couple hour drive tops. I’m lucky enough to live near Hershey, PA and Gettysburg. I’m also with two hrs away from Washington DC, Baltimore, and Philadelphia. So find some great places near you! Look up your state’s website (or that of a nearby state) and see what they have to offer. Plus, did you know that National Parks offer special FREE Entrance Days? Costco members and AAA members can get discount tickets to many attractions all over the country.
5. Go Out and Try Something New: Besides Groupon, there are many places around your local community where you can find discounted classes. First of all, 24 Hr Fitness offers the first month FREE to new members. Also, check out your local community centers like YMCA. You can gain access for your entire family to their swimming pool and other facilities for a monthly fee. Usually you can find tennis courts, basket courts, and other sport areas. Plus sometimes FREE classes are offered to members.
6. Stay In and Try Something New: Don’t forget how many resources your local library can have. There are books that can teach you how to do just about anything from cooking, crafts, home projects, fitness and more. There are also DVDs that can be rented that have tutorials. Also, don’t forget sites like Pinterest. Our Mommysavers Pinterest Page has ton of ideas pinned for just about every interest possible. YouTube is another great site for finding tutorials for learning pretty much anything out there. Don’t find it for free? Try Udemy for discounted online courses.
Click here to start learning on Udemy
7. Daily Deals: There are many great fashion and boutique sites that offer deep discounts of fantastic items for your, your home, and your family. Most deals last a few days or until they are sold out. New products are added daily. Sign up is easy and free. Here are some recommended sites: GroopDealz, VeryJane, My Cents of Style, and Rue La La.
8. Amazon: This site is great for finding anything, especially items for pampering yourself a little.
- Discounted Gift Cards
- Deals on Luxury Beauty Products
- Grab FREE and discounted Kindle Books every day. Sign up for Kindle Unlimited for $9.95 a month and gain unlimited access to thousands of books that can be borrowed and read at your convenience.
9. Meditate: Try the Simple Habit app for simple daily mediations. You only need five minutes to enjoy a little mini vacation for your mind.
Comment below with your own simple ways to escape!