If you’re looking for ways to reuse dryer sheets to save money and hassle at home, this isn’t it. Kim shared several tips on reusing dryer sheets around the house, but this is a little more creative. My fantastically clever and creative cousin, Brynn Carter, used dryer sheets to create this stylish flower hair accessory.
Brynn used new dryer sheets to make the flower clip pictured, giving it a geometric look. You can also use dryer sheets that have already been through the laundry and those will have a more soft look, plus they are easier to manipulate. Here are the simple steps to create your own. All you need is dryer sheets (new or used), a needle and thread, glue, and a hair clip.
- Cut your dryer sheets into squares and rectangles of different sizes.
- Stack them up, making sure they aren’t lined up. Don’t match up the corners.
- Make a few stitches through the center of your tack to hold the dryer sheets together.
- Twist and crumple the dryer sheets up into a flower shape, and move them around until you get the shape you want.
- Once you have a good shape, just make a bunch of stitches underneath going in every direction to keep it in that shape. There’s isn’t really a right or wrong way to do it, you just have to play with twisting and stitching until you like it.
- Once you are happy with your dryer sheet flower, just glue it to a bobby pin or clip, or make a dryer sheet brooch using brooch pin. Super glue works best if you are using unused dryer sheets.
It gets better: Her shirt is also embellished with dryer sheets! Embellished t-shirt necklines are a very popular style right now. Just cut the dryer sheets into rectangles and ruffle or pleat as you stitch them to the neckline, or use one of these tutorials.