At Mommysavers, our members are the best source of Elf on the Shelf ideas. Some of these have been posted in our Elf on the Shelf Gallery, others in our Elf on the Shelf Ideas forum threads. If you caught our first post Elf on the Shelf Ideas: 51 Creative Suggestions and enjoyed it, here are 51 MORE great ideas. Thanks to the readers who contributed!
Don’t have an elf yet? Check out our recently posted Elf on the Shelf Deals.
51 MORE Creative Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- Squish him into a plastic ornament that opens into two halves and hang him on the tree
- Leave a poorly-wrapped gift under the tree and cover him in tape and bits of matching wrapping paper
- Have any pirate toys in your home? Watch out! Your Elf may be taken hostage
- Make some red and/or green jello and have him eating some in the fridge
- Use red or green crepe paper in the doorway to trap the kids in their room
- Weighing himself on the scale
- Making paper snowflakes
- Playing “stylist” with a doll
- Playing with glow-in-the-dark Silly String
- Decorating his own elf-sized Christmas tree
- Elf poker game with other stuffed friends/dolls
- Elf bringing mini-doughnuts (decorated cheerios)
- Elf bowling with a ball and mini-marshmallows
- Drinking a can of mini-soda with a straw under the tree
- Making a string of popcorn for the Christmas tree
- Wrapping the playroom door in wrapping paper
- Using someone’s underwear as a sleeping bag
- Star Wars Jedi Elf
- Sitting in a tea cup filled with packets of Splenda
- Taking a nap in the manger with Baby Jesus in your nativity set
- With a “Picture Yourself” book from the Dollar Store – and of course, having added a photo of himself!
- Adding bows to a houseplant
- Elf planking
- Have the kids been naughty? Your Elf may go on strike
- Inside your mail box
- Hanging out with a gingerbread man (you bake the cookies)
- Have him pose in a family photo
- Head first in a Christmas stocking looking for goodies
- Have your elf leave a little present if the kids have been good
- Hiding in the winter gear or a coat pocket
- Hanging out with the other elves in the kitchen… Snap, Crackle and Pop!
- Playing video games like Mario Kart (sitting inside Barbie’s car with the remote-control wheel in his hands)
- Tangled in the Christmas lights
- Going fishing with a fishing pole fashioned out of a straw and a bobbin
- Wrapped up the kids’ school shoes with a sock on his head
- Making s’mores with mini marshmallows on a toothpick over a candle
- Decorating the bathroom mirror
- Wearing a man’s tie, a pair of glasses and circling “help wanted” ads in the newspaper
- Hanging candy canes from the dining room chandelier
- Cutting out paper elves (the kind you fold and they hold hands when opened up)
- Writing a letter to santa (custom elf stationery here)
- Robbing your child’s piggy bank wearing a duct-tape mask, carrying a little bag labeled $
- Planting a potted plant in the house (even cuter with a mini Christmas tree!) with little mess around him
- Naughty elf buying things online (like elf friends or accessories) with Mom’s credit card
- Playing Christmas music on the kids’ instruments
- If you have snow on the ground, have your Elf make a snowman or igloo and keep in the freezer for the kiddos to find
- Have your elf bake a plate of Christmas Treats for the family
- Have him replace the photos in your frames with pictures of himself and his friends (dolls, stuffed animals, Christmas figurines)
- Have your elf go on a hot-air balloon ride! Create the balloon with a bunch of helium balloons and anything to carry your elf: (a red solo cup, a tiny basket, a gift bag, etc). No helium? Create the same effect with the container, a regular balloon, and straws to prop it up.
- Elf pretending to be a baby (have him climb inside a bottle, hold a pacifier, wearing a diaper, etc.)
- Have your elf deliver a little something to everyone’s Christmas stockings
Related Elf on the Shelf Ideas & Resources
- Elf on Shelf Ideas
- Elf on the Shelf Story
- 25 Days of Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- Elf on the Shelf Ideas for Arrival
- Elf on the Shelf deals
- Elf on the Shelf Names: Elf Names for Boys, Elf Names for Girls
- Jennifer’s Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- Elf on the Shelf Videos
- Elf on the Shelf Ideas: 51 Creative Suggestions
- Elf on the Shelf Ideas: 51 MORE Creative Suggestions
- Clothes for Elf on the Shelf
- Elf on the Shelf Accessories
- Add your own Elf on the Shelf Ideas and photos to our gallery
- View our Elf on the Shelf Ideas Pinterest Album
- Elf on the Shelf Ideas for Adults ONLY!
- 25 Funny Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- Kindness Elf Ideas
- Elf on the Shelf Printables
- Elf on the Shelf Pets
- Easy Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- Bad Elf on the Shelf Ideas
We got our first elf yesterday. Andy was left outside the door with a letter from Santa. My daughter was so excited!!! This morning we found him hanging from the ceiling skydiving with ribbon and coffee filters! She got so mad that Andy got out of box and made a mess with “parachutes” all over the floor!
There are so many great ideas here!! Thank you for posting them! I’ll probably borrow a few!
Kimberly Danger says
Love your parachute idea, Jenny! Thanks for sharing it! 🙂
Our elf “Snowy” is bringing the envelope/ornament every day for our tree for the countdown advent calendar I’m doing. Inside the envelopes are pieces of paper telling what is going on that day – watch a movie, play a board game, make Christmas cookies, go see the Christmas lights around town etc. For the board game I’m going to have the game all set to play and her set up to play with us.
Kimberly Danger says
Dawn, that’s a great idea! I love how you’ve incorporated family activities into it. Happy Holidays! – Kim
Trinity Wilson says
Thanks for sharing! I made a mini basketball court & put an elf size jersey with big sisters name & # on it, the day of a big game. And one night elf made a mess with puffy Cheetos on the counter!
Kimberly Danger says
Great ideas, Trinity! Love the basketball idea. 🙂
Robbing from your child’s piggy bank? Really? This elf is supposed to be reporting good behavior to Santa. I’m all for being creative with the elf on the shelf but there is a line between mischief and felony and its not even a fine line at that.
You should check out The Pajama Elves by Hayden Edwards. It is the story of elves at the North Pole who sew magical pajamas that help children sleep on Christmas Eve, so Santa can visit unnoticed. Another fun Christmas tradition for families!
My son’s Elf arrived at the door this morning. I wrapped the package and had him bursting out. My son is inly 3 so I am keeping it kind of simple.. Tomorrow he is going to be arm wrestling with The Hulk!
We got it today and my daughter loved him but she found out it wasn’t really because she saw me put it out and now she’s telling every kid in her kid what do I do ?