I got this adorable gift idea from the November issue of Woman's Day magazine. When I read the directions, I thought, “There is no way this can be this easy AND come out this cute.” But I was wrong! From start to finish, one bag took me less than 20 minutes, cost less than $4.00, and is really cute. The magazine recommends using an 18×13 tote. I chose to use a 13×13 tote. I found a pack of 3 for $9.99 at Michaels, making them only $3.33 per bag. Combine with coupons here and you may be able to create one for under $3.
- Canvas tote (I used a 13×13 bag.)
- Black fabric paint (I used Tulip Slick in black)
- Monogram/Alphabet stencil (The magazine gives complete directions on making your own. I had an alphabet set already, and just used that one.)
- Small paint brush
- Doily (I used a 10″ doily.)
- Spray adhesive
- If your tote is wrinkled, iron first. Spay adhesive on back side of doily.
- Adhere doily to lower right corner of bag, partially hanging off (see picture above).
- Paint over the outer edge of the doily, making sure not to go outside of the outer limit. I wanted an “aged” look, so i intentionally used varying amounts of paint so that the color was not consistent. If you want a more uniform color, use more paint.
- While paint is still wet, peel off doily.
- Let paint dry.
- My stencil fit well within the wet paint, so I skipped step 5, saving time. Spray adhesive on back of monogram stencil of your choice. (You can see, I used a “K”.)
- Lay monogram stencil on the tote, centering inside the (already) painted pattern.
- Paint over monogram stencil.
- While paint is wet, remove stencil.
- Let dry.
- After all paint is completely dry, using a high heat iron, iron over painted areas to set your design so that the bag is washable.
I can't wait to fill these with teacher goodies and gift cards to give to my daughter's preschool teachers for christmas. You could also fill them with crackers, cheese, and/or homemade bread for your favorite neighbors. The possibilities are limitless.
If you are interested in a subscription to Woman's Day, now is the time to try it out. Check out this deal where you can get 1 year for only $3.73! Also, before heading to Michaels, check out these great coupons!
Kimberly Danger says
Super cute, Mandy! I bet you could save even more by using a Michael’s coupon from the Sunday paper. Thanks for sharing!
Mandy House says
Great idea, Kim! I edited the blog to include some great coupons you had posted in the coupons forum. 🙂
I’m afraid to post this on my facebook page because I am making these to hold all the girl gifts this year!
I just went out and bought the bags with a coupon at Michaels and the doilies at Dollar Tree. This should be a fun project – think I have all the other items in my stash. What a fun and cheap but cute gift.