Homemade Costume Idea: Adorable no-sew Tutu
Often our best and most creative ideas come from our readers. A big thanks to ADDIMOM for sharing this one along with the step-by-step instructions you see below.
I recently made this adorable little tutu for Addie (and one for her favorite doll), and she LOVES it! It took me about an hour to make, and the cost was minimal. It is super-easy and requires no sewing. You can make one too. Here's how:
- Roll(s) of 6 in. wide tulle (If you want a solid colored tutu, 1 roll is more than enough.)
- Elastic headband
- Roll(s) of thin satin ribbon that coordinate(s) with the tulle of your choice
- Cut tulle in strips of 12-14 inches.
- Tie the tulle onto the headband in even lengths.
- If you use more than one color, arrange the colors as you tie them on the headband.
- When you have tied all of your tulle to the headband (more tulle = fluffier tutu ), cut a few 12-14 inch lengths of ribbon.
- Tie the ribbon at random intervals around the headband,. This just adds a pop of color.
- If you would like to make a matching tutu for your little one's favorite doll, repeat the above steps using an elastic pony tail band and cutting the tulle and ribbon in strips of 6-7 inches.
Price breakdown: One roll of tulle will cost approx. $3 (not on sale). One roll of ribbon is about $0.50. The elastic headbands are sold in packs and are about $1. One tutu can easily be made for under $4. I am adding a hair piece and a magic wand in order to turn this into a fairy costume for halloween. Details to come!
Awesome! Thanks for sharing! I will definitely be making these for gifts for my daughter and her friends! (and their dolls!) I had no idea it was so easy!