There has been a lot of buzz that gas prices will top $5.00 per gallon this summer. We’re also talking about it in our forums, where moderator deemom is challenging Mommysavers members to see how they can use less gas this month.
I thought it would be interesting to track gas prices in my town over the course of the next few months to see if it turns out to be an accurate prediction (I’ve already got several weeks tracked below). Let me know how much gas is in YOUR community by adding your comment.
*UPDATE* As of May 25th, gas here in Minnesota has dropped by $.10/week for the past two weeks in a row. Will we be down another $.10 next week?
There may not be a lot you can do about the price you pay at the pump, but here are some ways to save on gas:
- Make sure your tires are properly inflated
- Keep your engine tuned up
- Replace clogged air filters
- Have your kids ride the school bus is possible
- Walk or ride a bike
- Don’t drive over 55 mph
- Organize errand running and combine trips
- Carpool with others
- Shop online when possible instead of running to the store
- Take advantage of delivery services
- Lighten up! Remove any extra weight from your car to improve mileage
- Check Gas Buddy for the lowest prices in your area
- Fill up mid-week as prices trend higher on the weekends
- Use a rewards card for your gas purchases
- Compute the cost of gas on trips you frequently make (such as to retail areas) and consider the cost whenever you venture out
- Call first to confirm that stores carry what you need to purchase
- Remove vinyl tops, ski racks, bike racks, luggage racks and anything external on your car that causes drag
- Purchase a GPS device (we have the Garmin Nuvi) to avoid taking the “long route” by mistake
- Avoid running the air conditioning by keeping windows open and parking in the shade to keep your vehicle cool