I've made a few of these no-sew fleece blankets over the years and they've always turned out to be family favorites. If you can get the fleece on sale, they're pretty frugal. Last week at Hancock Fabrics printed fleece was 50% off and solids were as low as $3.99 a yard. We got two variations on camouflage for Dad, who requested a “camo” blanket.
What I like about this project is that your cutting doesn't have to be perfect. Your blanket is very forgiving and will look great even if the fringe wasn't cut perfectly. Any child who knows how to tie can help you out. This is my 11-year old, who started making these with me a couple of years ago.
No-Sew Fleece Blanket Instructions:
1. Select two coordinating fleece 60″ fabrics and have them cut 2 1/2 yards long for a large blanket. A baby's blanket could be smaller ( 1 1/2 yards – 2 yards)
2. At home, lay out your fabric pieces and smooth out and wrinkles in the fabric
3. Cut the selvedge edges off, trimming so that both pieces of fleece are exactly the same size
4. Starting in the corner, cut a 5″ wedge out of your fleece. The longer and thinner the fringe is, the easier it is to tie. If you have young kids helping out, you may want to do a 6′ fringe
5. Cut 5″ fringe spaced 3/4 inches apart
6. Tie off the fringe like you would tie off a balloon