Each week in February, we’re taking on a commonly avoided task with a Tackle It Tuesday assignment and encouraging our members to participate along with us. Today, we’re taking on those cluttered bathroom cabinets and drawers.
What’s lurking inside YOUR bathroom cabinets and drawers? If they’re not fit for public viewing, it may be time to organize them. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Do you have lotions, creams or cosmetics you haven’t used in over six months? Throw them away. You can’t organize clutter, so it’s best to start the organization process with only the things that you need and use. Besides, they may be harboring bacteria and germs.
- Toss anything that has passed its expiration date.
- Are you hoarding the hotel soaps and shampoos? Here are some ideas: Put them in a decorative basket for visiting guests, donate them to a food pantry or women’s shelter, or use them to make liquid soap.
- If you’ve got more than one bottle of the same thing, try to consolidate it into one and toss the other.
- Are towels and washcloths neatly stacked? Consider rolling towels for maximum storage space.
- Contain like items in storage containers and caddies.
- An empty toilet paper tube can be used to organize cords from electrical appliances like hair dryers, curling irons and straighteners.
- Store seasonal items (like sunscreen and bug repellent) in another location.
- If you have young children, make sure you have safety locks installed on cabinet drawers and doors.
Related Forum Discussion:
- Organizing the master bathroom
- Poll: Do you keep the shampoo and soap from hotel rooms?
- The frugal bathroom
- Storing medications out of baby’s reach
- Stockpiling OTC Medications
Join our Tackle It Tuesday project by linking to your own bathroom organization blog entry below. We ask that as a courtesy you link back to Mommysavers.com and only post links pertaining to this topic. Linking will be closed on Monday, February 21st. Check out our list of upcoming list of Tackle It Tuesday projects.
I was searching online last November for a solution for our toothbrush problem. I have 4 children, with another on the way, and when it was time for all of them to brush teeth, it turned into chaos!
“I can’t find my toothbrush!” “Thats MY toothbrush!” “MOM!” First thing I did was assign each child a color. Each child now knows it is THEIR toothbrush because it is their color! Then I dearched online for an organization solution. They needed a solution where they could put wet toothbrushes away without contaminating, and keep the countertop clean. I have too many children for a traditional toothbrush cup on the countertop, and besides, the baby climbs onto the countertop and grabs her sisters. I found a blog where the woman bought a silverware/utensil organizer and each child got a slot and the the entire thing fit in the small top drawer. All toothpaste,floss, etc, fit in there also! Perfect! The baby doesn’t see them so she doesn’t go for them, each child knows the exact space where their brush goes, and the countertop looks tidier (still not clean! working on that!)
I am a persistent tosser. I love throwing things out especially unused lotions and cosmetics. I also display the towels so I am forced to fold them neatly. It holds me accountable and I know instantly that towels need to be washed when the stacks are low. Thanks for the tips.