To help instill the love of learning in my daughter, I try to add arts and crafts to our reading and math time. Here is a fun little craft that I did with her after reading The Rainbow Fish. (I originally saw the idea in Family Fun.) It uses old or damaged CD's/DVD's, so it is an opportunity to discuss recycling as well. She loved it, and has wanted to read the book over and over and over…
- Adhesive gemstones
- Cardboard or foam (I used foam I found on clearance at target.)
- Some sort of adhesive (I used leftover dimensionals that I had from a previous project.)
- Googly eyes (You can draw eyes with a Sharpie if you don't have them on hand.)
- Unusable CD or DVD
- Read The Rainbow Fish.
- On cardboard or foam, draw and cut out top, bottom, and back fins, as well as big fish lips, in various colors.
- Using adhesive of your choice, adhere fins and lips to the non-shiny side of the CD/DVD, so that the shiny side does not show the adhesive.
- Adhere the googly eye. I used black puffy paint to adhere the eye. It created a black ring around the eye, which I thought looked cute.
- Adhere gemstones ALL over the fish!
*If you wanted, you could use all red and green and turn this into a christmas ornament to display on the tree.
*If you need to purchase supplies, look for a Michael's coupon in your Sunday paper.
Where did you find those gemstones? I’ve been looking for some like that for a couple months now.
Mandy House says
Hi Miranda – I got them on clearance at Target.