One way to save money on groceries as described in the book Instant Bargains: 600+ Ways to Shrink Your Grocery Bill and Eat Well for Less is to buy bakery items off the day-old rack at walmart. My Walmart store marks any day-old products down by 40%, which is a true bargain since their everyday prices are already pretty low to begin with. One of the things I get most often are their french bread baguettes. The one pictured here was just $.90 – you can't beat that price! They're perfect for making garlic bread. Here's how:
1. Slice baguettes into slices ½ to ¾ inches thick
2. Soften one stick of butter, and stir in 1tsp. garlic powder
3. Spread the butter on the baguette slices
4. Place the slices buttered-side up on a cookie sheet
5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown
Other Ideas for Day-Old Clearance Bread:
- Use it in our Baked French Toast recipe
- Homemade croutons
- Make bread crumbs
- Make French Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce – YUM!
dawnielle westerman says
i buy this all the time…then freeze the ones I will not uses right away and use the rest for making sandwiches 🙂
French bread pizza is super easy and frugal too!