We previously posted a really frugal yet delicious family friendly freezer meal: Taco Stack. I love this recipe as does my entire family. So I have set out to make this “cheat meal” into something that is clean eating and 21 Day Fix friendly while maintaining the deliciousness of the original recipe.
Clean Eating Taco Stack
Makes 2 servings
- 1 teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups of ground turkey
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce, low sodium
- 21 Day Fix Southwestern Seasoning (recipe below)
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 corn tortillas
- Heat up the extra virgin olive oil in a pan. Brown the ground turkey and cook the onions at the same time.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasoning mix. Stir and let is cook on medium heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Start your stack by placing 1/5 of the ground turkey mixture at the bottom of a baking sheet.
- Top the meat with a corn tortilla.
- Then top with 1/4 of the cheese and more of the meet mixture. Do that two more time until you have 4 tortillas in the stack. Top with remaining meat mixture and cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Cut the stack in half to get one full-sized adult serving.
* Serving Suggestion: Make a salad out of romaine lettuce, fresh diced tomatoes, chopped sweet bell peppers and chopped cucumbers. Top with fresh squeezed lime juice.
*Freezer Meal: Make as directed but make the stack on top of a piece of tin foil instead of in a baking pan. Wrap up the stack and store it in your freezer. Then defrost and bake as directed.
21 Day Fix Southwestern Seasoning Mix (as found in the 21 Day Fix Eating Plan booklet)
- 1 Tablespoon of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of coriander (cilantro)
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
Simply add all ingredients to a bow and mix well. Tip: Multiply the recipe several time and store it in a dry container so you have it whenever you need it.
*Each serving equals 1/2 green, 1 red, 1 yellow, and 3/4 blue container. Also add a 1 teaspoon for the olive oil. If you make the salad to go with it, be sure to measure out of a cup for yourself and add another green container to your count.