If your Super Bowl Party spread is heavy on the fat, considering adding one of these healthy alternatives for your guests. They may be light in calories, but they’re heavy on taste and flavor. Perfect for game day or any other occasion.
Five Healthy Super Bowl Appetizers
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained; reserve 1/2 C. liquid
- 1/4 C. tahini (sesame paste, found in the organic aisle of most grocery stores)
- 1/4 C. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 C. fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
Puree all ingredients using a stick blender or food processor. Variation: omit cumin and cilantro and add 1/4 C. roasted red peppers. Serve as a spread or with pita chips.
- 1 packet ranch seasoning
- 1 17-oz. container Greek yogurt
Mix well and chill before serving.
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels (I use either fresh or frozen; not canned)
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper or tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
Chop and dump. Refrigerate overnight to let all flavors blend.
- 3 ripe avocados, peeled and mashed
- 1 can Ro-tel with lime juice and cilantro, drained
- 1-2 tsp. Tabasco, depending on taste (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients until smooth. Refrigerate and serve chilled. You can adjust any of the ingredients according to your own taste. I love cilantro, so I usually end up adding extra cilantro leaves from my herb garden during the summer. If you only have two avocados, use half the can of Ro-tel and adjust spices accordingly. Freeze the half can of Ro-tel to use in your next batch of guacamole.
- Flour tortillas
- Kosher salt, salt, or garlic salt to season according to taste
- Canola oil (you can use olive oil or even spray)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place tortillas in a stack cut them into 4 wedges. Brush each side with oil and place on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle your wedges with salt/seasoning to taste. Bake about 5-7 minutes until golden brown.