Hydration…for some people it's easy, for others it's hard. I get that. I'm not a fan of drinking water unless it's really cold. Even then, I just never drank a lot. I wish I had known and really understood before now how much drinking water would change my body and make me feel good.
You should drink a minimum of 64 oz or half a gallon a day. I know it sounds like a lot, but it's really just three 16 oz water bottles. If you divide it up throughout the day and set goals, it becomes a lot easier. You can also add citrus, berries, cucumbers, mint, and other things to flavor your water.
Still not a water drinker? Try herbal iced tea. I brew a gallon at a time and it lasts me about 2 days. I started sweetening it LIGHTLY with honey or agave syrup after brewing (while it's still warm). Then I lessened the amount of sweetener I added each time. After two weeks, I was used to drinking it unsweetened. Strange how that works!
Here are the main reasons to drink water:
- Digestion: This is a HUGE reason! You might have a food intolerance or you could just be dehydrated. Try drinking more before, while, and after you eat and see if it makes a difference.
- Spreads Nutrients Helps the nutrients in the food you eat get to different parts of your body.
- Keeps Hormones Balanced: This is part of getting the nutrients through your body. Your hormones will be better balanced and you will feel happier.
- Cleanse Your Body: Water helps to flush toxins and waste out of your system. Helps your kidneys work better.
- Keeps Skin Nice: Long term hydration keeps your skin clearer and moisturized.
- More Energy: Being dehydrated can make you feel tired and lethargic.
- Cure/Prevent Headaches: Dehydration can cause headaches. Sometimes chronic headaches can be prevented if you keep hydrated.
- Prevents Dry Scalp: Enough water in your body prevents that dry and itchy scalp.
- Helps with Dry Eyes: The potassium and electrolytes help keep your eyes bright and hydrated.
- Regulates Body Temperature: Keeps you from getting too hot too fast.
- Helps exercise: You lose a lot of water from your body when you sweat. That water needs to be replaced quickly.
- Boosts Metabolism: Drinking cold water in the morning can jumpstart your metabolism.
- Curbs Cravings: Drinking water throughout the day and help keep you from getting overly hungry. Doing that can help keep the cravings to a minimum.
- Reduces Cancer Risk: Keeping hydrated helps greatly reduce the risk of colon cancer and bladder cancer (both of which run in my family.
- Helps Your Body Regenerate: Your blood cells and muscle cells need water to regenerate and stay healthy.
- Keeps your Brain Healthy: Your brain is 75% water. Hydration improves brain function.
Need more reasons? Well I'm not sure what to tell ya! Just do your best and you will feel your best.