Mac and cheese is so yummy. It's TRUE comfort food. Adding blue cheese to the mix makes it even better. Starting with a basic bechamel sauce makes any kind of homemade mac and cheese easy. Add any kind of cheese and noodles you like to vary your results according to your taste.
Bechamel Sauce for Mac and Cheese
- 3 C. milk
- 1/2 C. butter (unsalted)
- 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until it turns golden brown. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly. Continue to heat until mixture is thickened. Add salt to taste.
Black and Blue Mac and Cheese
- One recipe bechamel sauce for mac and cheese (above)
- 1-lb. box macaroni or other pasta (I love cavatappi noodles)
- 1 small container (5-oz.) blue cheese (I get mine at aldi)
- 2 C. grated Monterrey Jack Cheese
- 1 C. toasted walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350. Cook pasta according to package instructions to al dente. Drain. Toast walnuts for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees. Add the bechamel sauce and cheeses in a medium saucepan over medium heat until melted, just about 3-4 minutes. Pour cheese sauce over pasta in a casserole dish or cast-iron skillet. Top with toasted walnuts.