The temperatures in Minnesota week will probably not reach the double digits. The windchills are an obscene 30 and 40 degrees below zero. At the height of brutal winter weather like this, nothing hits the spot like a hearty soup or stew. Last week, I was craving cabbage soup. I did a little research and came up with this recipe for Cabbage Roll Soup. Not only was it frugal, it definitely hit the spot!
Cabbage Roll Soup Recipe
- 1 lb. ground beef salt and pepper
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 C. sliced baby carrots
- 2 stalks of celery, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 6-8 C. beef broth (depending on if you want it more of a soup or stew)
- 1/2 head of cabbage, core removed sliced in strips
- 1/2 C. uncooked white rice
- Salt and pepper your ground beef, and sprinkle paprika on top. Squish it in your fingers to work the spices into the meat.
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot. Brown ground beef until no longer pink and remove with slotted spoon.
- Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook until translucent and semi-soft. Drain any excess fat.
- Put ground beef and veggies back in the stock pot. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Simmer on low for 45 min or so. Add cabbage and rice. Simmer until rice and cabbage is soft, approx. another 30 minutes.