I have searched the web and looked at several different gumbo recipes and this is my own version of what I found. I pretty much always alter the recipe a bit to my own taste or to make it easier to make. Because gumbo is usually spicy, you need to remember to adjust the spices to your own taste. If you don't like spicy, leave out the cayenne pepper.
Clean Eating chicken Gumbo
- 3 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of gluten free flour
- 2 cups of bell peppers, chopped (combination of red, green, orange, etc)
- 1/2 cup of celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup of frozen okra, sliced
- 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons of 21 day fix All-Purpose Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of basil
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon of cajun seasoning
- 1 lb of chicken breast, chopped
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 lb of steamed and cleaned shrimp
- cayenne pepper to taste (careful! I little goes a long way!)
*Tip: Before getting started, make sure all ingredients are chopped, measured, and ready. I also combine all of the seasonings in a bowl so they are easier to add during cooking.
- Heat the oil, and add the peppers, celery, onion, and okra.
- Add half your seasonings and stir really well.
- Let everything cook and soften on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, tomatoes, and the rest of the seasoning and let cook for another 10 minutes
- Stir in the flour and let cook for another couple minutes
- Add chicken broth, stir and let it cook until it bubbles.
- Stir in the shrimp.
- Add the cayenne pepper if you dare.
- Turn down the heat and simmer until you are ready to serve it plain or over brown rice.
I personally couldn't find frozen okra at my local store but I did find a combined can of “tomatoes and okra” so I used that instead.
I also added sliced smoked turkey sausage at the end when I added my shrimp. I'm not sure if it's clean eating or not but but hubs loves it so I used it. That's TOTALLY optional though.
Check out MANY more clean eating recipes HERE.
Also, never miss a tip, deal, or recipe when you subscribe to our newsletter as the right of the screen —->
Leave a Reply