Meat sauce can already be pretty healthy so it doesn’t require a lot of changes to make traditional meat sauce into something clean eating.
Clean Eating Meat Sauce
- 1 lb of ground turkey
- 8 oz package of mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 29 oz can of low sodium canned tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes (Muir Glen organic)
- 1/4 cup of red wine
- 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- seal salt to taste
- Brown the ground turkey at the bottom of the sauce pan, sprinkling a little sea salt as it cooks.
- Stir in the mushrooms and onions and let them cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, fire roasted tomatoes, red wine, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and more salt (to taste).
- Bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Let it simmer for about an hour.
Tip: After the meat is browned, the rest of the ingredients can be added to a crockpot and cooked on low all day.
This sauce freezes REALLY well in containers or ziplock bags.
I believe the 21 Day Fix equivalents for one cup or sauce are: 1/2 purple, 1/2 red/ 1/4 green
Find out more about my personal journey into clean eating and more yummy recipes HERE. Don’t want to miss a recipe or deal? Subscribe to our newsletter to the right —->