Cake pops are a fun, creative, and super easy way to add some pizazz to your holiday dessert table. They also make adorable holiday gifts for your friends and neighbors. The arrangements seen here were made by my neighbor. She made them to use as gifts at her husband’s office. I am sure they were BIG hit. Let us know your tips on how to decorate cake pops. (The directions may seem long, but these are very easy.)
- Boxed cake mix
- Cake frosting
- Lollipop sticks
- Package of almond bark/candy coating (I will refer to this as “chocolate” in the directions.)
- Sprinkles and/or extra icing (for decorating)
- Decorative bowls
- Styrofoam blocks
How to Decorate Cake Pops:
- Bake cake according to box directions.
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, crumble the cake into tiny pieces.
- Add about 1/2 a cup of frosting to the crumbled cake and “mush” together.
- Using the cake/frosting mixture, roll out 1″ balls and place on a cookie sheet.
- Cover the cake balls with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for an hour or 2. (One side of the ball will flatten from sitting on the cookie sheet.)
- Once the cake balls have chilled, and you are ready to decorate, melt the chocolate in the microwave, as directed on the package.
- Dip the tip of one lollipop stick in the melted chocolate.
- Insert the chocolate covered end of the lollipop stick half-way into a cake ball, going in through the flat side of the ball. (The chocolate will help secure the stick once the chocolate sets.)
- Holding the lollipop stick, dip the entire cake ball directly into the melted chocolate, turning until thoroughly coated.
- Tap off excess chocolate.
- Insert the lollipop stick into a Styrofoam block, so that the cake pop is standing up, allowing the chocolate to set.
- (Option #1) While the cake pops are in the Styrofoam block, BEFORE the chocolate sets, sprinkle the balls with candy sprinkles.
- (Option #2) While the cake pops are in the Styrofoam block, decorate them with icing swirls or any other designs other you would like.
- Repeat steps #8-14 for remaining cake balls.
- While your cake pops are setting, cut additional Styrofoam blocks to fit in the decorative bowls/containers you have chosen for your display.
- Once the chocolate and designs are completely set, arrange the cake pops in the Styrofoam filled decorative bowls/containers of your choice.
For more great dessert ideas, visit our Dessert Forum. You won’t be disappointed!