Christmas is expensive enough; so don’t let the cost of mailing gifts break your holiday budget! Here are some tips for saving on shipping costs when mailing gifts to friends and family.
- When selecting gifts to mail to out-of-town friends and family, opt for lightweight items that don’t cost much to send (such as gift cards, magazine subscriptions, or Netflix subscriptions).
- Use flat-rate boxes that are free from the USPS. When you go shopping, make sure that all the gifts for each family fit inside the box. Flat-rate boxes can be especially economical if you’re mailing heavy things (such as books).
- Purchase items online and have them sent directly to the recipient. Even if you have to pay extra for gift wrap, it’s usually less expensive than doing it yourself and paying to ship from your home. Amazon Prime is a great option, you can ship many items in two days or less! More Amazon Prime Perks
- When shipping things overseas, opt for the “slow boat” option – just make sure you give your package plenty of time to arrive. Or, look for merchants (such as Amazon.co.uk) to order from that will ship within the recipient’s country.
- Send your gifts along with a friend or family member who is going that way and can hand-deliver it for you.