If you're looking for a delicious and healthy meal, look no further than stuffed italian zucchini boats! This recipe is easy to make and packed with flavor.
What Are Stuffed Italian Zucchini Boats?
Imagine a boat made from zucchini, filled with an appetizing mix of Italian sausage, aromatic herbs, and gooey cheese, then baked to perfection. Sounds delicious, right?
The Ingredients for Stuffed Italian Zucchini Boats
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and flesh with a spoon. Leave about 1/4 inch of flesh intact to create a “boat”.
- Season the zucchini boats with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the Italian sausage, onion, and garlic. Cook until the sausage is browned and the onion is translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the marinara sauce to the skillet and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and place the zucchini boats in the dish.
- Spoon the sausage mixture into the zucchini boats, dividing it evenly among them.
- Top each zucchini boat with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve hot.
Here are some variations on the stuffed zucchini boats recipe:
- Vegetarian Italian Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Replace the Italian sausage with a vegetarian alternative or omit it altogether.
- Use a vegetarian marinara sauce.
- Add vegetables like mushrooms, bell peppers, or spinach to the stuffing.
- Vegetarian Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Use a vegetarian stuffing made with quinoa, beans, or lentils.
- Add vegetables like corn, tomatoes, or avocado to the stuffing.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese or a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
- Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Use a different type of sausage, like chicken or turkey sausage.
- Add vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, or squash to the stuffing.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
- Vegetarian Greek Lentil Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Use a Greek-inspired stuffing made with lentils, feta cheese, and olives.
- Add vegetables like red onion, cherry tomatoes, or cucumber to the stuffing.
- Top with a dollop of tzatziki sauce or a sprinkle of fresh dill.
- Stuffed Zucchini Boats with Italian Sausage
- Follow the original recipe but use a different type of Italian sausage, like spicy or sweet sausage.
- Add vegetables like bell peppers, mushrooms, or onions to the stuffing.
- Top with a sprinkle of chopped fresh basil or parsley.
- Best Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Use a different type of cheese, like cheddar or Monterey Jack.
- Add vegetables like corn, black beans, or jalapenos to the stuffing.
- Top with a drizzle of sour cream or a sprinkle of chopped green onions.
These variations on the stuffed zucchini boats recipe are a great way to mix things up and try new flavors. Whether you're vegetarian or a meat lover, there's a stuffed zucchini boat recipe out there for you!