Crock Pot Greek chicken pitas are super-easy to make and the chicken has an amazing flavor to it. These were so yummy that my family requested that I make them again, but this time make a double batch. They were that GOOD!
Crock Pot Greek Chicken Pitas
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast tenderloins (my package weighed 1.15 lbs.)
- 1 1/2 tsp. lemon pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 (5.3 oz.) container of plain yogurt (I was only able to find plain yogurt in the Greek variety, so that is what I used)
- 1 package of pita pocket breads, any variety
- 1 tomato, diced into chunks
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced into chunks
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 c. water or chicken broth
Step 2: In your crock pot, put your chicken breasts tenderloins in. Then add the sliced onion and minced garlic. Finally, add all of your spices (lemon pepper, oregano and allspice).
*Note: You can substitute boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Cook the same way.
Step 5: Before it is almost done cooking, dice up the tomato and cucumber into chunks and thinly slice the red bell pepper.
*Note: The picture shows some of the chicken not shredded. I wanted you to see the pretty coloring on the chicken. At the bottom of the plate you will see what the shredded chicken should look like.
*Note: If you don't want to use yogurt, you can use sour cream.
Step 8: Heat pita bread in your microwave for about 20-25 seconds for each 1/2. Spoon the shredded chicken into the warm pita bread. With a spoon, spread some of the onion/garlic mixture onto the chicken. Top with the tomato and cucumber chunks, along with the red bell pepper strips.