I completely believe in the theory about looking good making your feel good. For example, if you feeling low in energy and you wear a pair of pajama pants, flip flops, a ratty tee, etc to run errands, you are going to continually feel run-down. However if you take a little time to do you hair, put on a little mascara, wear a nice pair of jeans and a cute shirt, you might feel little energy coming back. I’m speaking from personal experience.
If you check out my Before Photos verses my photos from my earlier life, you will see that I used to dress fairly fashionably and it was a natural thing. My weight was lower then and even a simple outfit made me feel pretty. Now, I’m 40+ lbs heavier. I have had two kids who are home for the summer. I’m tired not to mention HOT all the time. So I pretty much do the hair in a messy bun, tee shirt, gauchos, and flip flops all summer. I can’t wear contacts anymore and mascara bothers my eyes (because of my chronic dry eye) so my regular look is the “stressed-out” mom look.
*Note…this is solely on my personal experience only and has nothing to do with my opinions of fashion, hair, and make-up for anyone other than myself.
Lately I’ve realized that it’s not just about weight and not about how others view me when they see me in the store. It’s about how I view myself. If I’m going to lose weight and gain health, doing other things that make me feel good will help. Here are some frugal ways you can “treat yourself” during your 21 Day Fix.
- Paint your toe nails. Really easy and cheap to do. Seeing the dark red under my flip flops makes me feel more “put together.”
- Find a good deal on Groupon and go get a hair cut, manicure, or spa treatment.
- Get yourself a new $5 pair of earrings studs you like. Wear them regularly. I used to have a small pair of diamond studs I would wear every day until I took one out and the back fell down the drain. I never replaced it. I need to! Wearing simple tiny stud earrings make me feel feminine. You can work out in them, sleep in them, etc. You never know they are there.
- Splurge on a nice bottle of lotion. I love my Bath and Body Works body creams and usually stock up during the Semi-Annual sales when they are 1/3 the price. However there are specials and coupons year-round. Sometimes they have a coupon for a free travel sized bottle of lotion with no purchase necessary. You just have to sign up.
- Have a nice bath. After working out you might want to relax in a nice bath. You can also make your own Homemade Sugar Scrub for pennies.
- “Girl’s Night Out.” Sometime during the fix, plan to go out with your favorite girls. It doesn’t have to be a “cheat.” Plan ahead as to where you are going to go and what you are going to order. Just being with your friends and having a good time is great way to “treat” yourself without necessarily having any dessert involved.
- Get new work out clothes as you meet your goals. This idea is so fun and doesn’t have to be expensive. Check out the clearance racks at Old Navy and Target. Zulily and Jane.com often have deals under $10.
- New pair of shoes. A new pair of running shoes or boots is a good reward for reaching your goals. Those types of shoes that need to routinely need to be replaced. Target and Kohl’s are good places to go.
What are other ways you treat yourself?