chicken parmesan is usually pretty fatty and loaded with carbs because the chicken is traditionally rolled in bread crumbs then cooked in oil. This version uses whole wheat Panko bread crumbs. It's also not cooked in oil. I also added lots of eggplant to bulk it up with vegetables. Don't like eggplant? Try sliced mushrooms instead.
I actually found Panko breaded chicken cutlets pre-made and marked down at my local grocery store (score!). You can also buy these bread crumbs. Simply take the chicken breasts, pound them with a meat mallet (unless you are using chicken tenders), drip them in milk and roll them in the Panko bread crumbs.
clean eating Chicken and Eggplant Parmesan
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders
- olive oil
- Panko bread crumbs
- 1 medium to large eggplant
- 2-3 cups of spaghetti sauce (depending on your taste)
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded Italian mix cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Use the olive oil to grease the bottom of your baking pan
- Dip the pieces of chicken in milk, roll in the bread crumbs, and place side by side in the baking pan.
- Peel the eggplant and cut it up into bite sized chunks.
- Place the eggplant into the baking pan on top and in between the chicken (see graphics below)
- Cover with spaghetti sauce
- Sprinkle with cheese
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, depending on how thick the chicken is. It's important to make sure it's thoroughly cooked.
This meal is such a great comfort food! If you need a little more food, you can serve it over whole wheat pasta. However I prefer to eat more protein and eggplant and add more carbs to my meal.
I like large serving sizes because this dish is my entire meal. So I estimate these 21 Day Fix container counts: 1 green, 1/2 purple, 2 reds, 1 yellow, and 1 blue. Yes it's a splurge meal but I like my Fall/winter dinners to be hearty and filling. If you feel more comfortable, you can cut your serving in half and eat a large green salad instead.
Never miss a deal, tip, or recipe when you subscribe to our newsletter to the right of your screen —->