Baked Penne with Chicken Sausage, Spinach, Tomatoes and Greek Yogurt is a lighter, healthier version of baked zita. It features whole wheat pasta, fresh vegetables, low-fat sausage and many other healthy ingredients.
Baked Penne with Chicken Sausage, Spinach, Tomatoes and Greek Yogurt
- 1 box (10-13.25 oz.) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
- 1 (10 oz) package of chicken sausages
- 1 (6 oz.) package of fresh, baby spinach
- 1 cup red cherry or grape tomatoes, chopped into quarters
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pasta sauce (I used a garlic and herb flavored one)
- 1 (5.3 oz.) Chobani Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 1/4 cups shredded low-fat Mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbsp. butter, margarine or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
Step 2: Boil water in saucepan and cook the penne pasta according to directions on box.
Step 3: While the pasta is cooking, melt 1 tbsp. butter in medium pan over medium heat. Add, the chicken sausage and brown for about 12-14 minutes. Now, mince your two cloves of garlic and quarter your tomatoes to equal one cup. When the sausages are done browning, add the minced garlic and let cook an extra 30 seconds.
Step 4: Right before the penne pasta is done cooking, place a colander in your sink and add the bag of baby spinach in the bottom of the colander. When the penne pasta is done cooking, pour it and water over the spinach in the colander. Let it sit for a little bit to allow the spinach to slightly wilt.
Step 5: When the chicken sausages are done browning, turn the heat off and remove them from the pan. Place them on a cutting board and cut into bite-size pieces. Take the remaining butter and garlic and scrape it into a large bowl.
Step 7: Add your 1 cup of pasta sauce, milk, greek yogurt, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and all the spices. Mix well together.